Monday, January 11, 2016

R.I.P. David Bowie (1947-2016)

David Bowie on Life



David Bowie turned 69 years old on Friday January 8, 2016.  Bowie marked the occasion by releasing his 25th studio album Blackstar.  This was the Bowie album which did not feature his ever changing visage (as illustrated by Helen Green for the rock star's 68th birthday).



 
 But a video Lazarus was simultaneously released to promote Blackstar, which depicted Bowie in a hospital bed with bandages covering his face and buttons over his his eyes.

Two  days later, the world was shocked when Bowie's death was announced.  Unbeknownst to the general public Bowie had be suffering from cancer for eighteen month which he knew was incurable.  Bowie's longtime music producer Tony Visconti opined that Blackstar was a parting gift from Bowie. Visconti followed with the observation: "His death was no different than his life-- a work of art."

The lyrics to Lazarus paired with the haunting images from the video lend credence to the perception that Blackstar was a deliberate swan song. 





Look up here, I'm in heaven
I've got scars that can't be seen
I've got drama, can't be stolen
Everybody knows me now
Look up here, man, I'm in danger
I've got nothing left to lose
I'm so high it makes my brain whirl
Dropped my cell phone down below
Ain't that just like me
By the time I got to New York
I was living like a king
Then I used up all my money
I was looking for your ass
This way or no way
You know, I'll be free
Just like that bluebird
Now ain't that just like me
Oh I'll be free
Just like that bluebird
Oh I'll be free
Ain't that just like me

h/t: Helen Green

No comments:

Post a Comment